Friday, July 4, 2008

When Friends Have Friends...

Granted, the story I'm about to tell took place like two weeks ago. But I've got a case of insomnia and one of the parties in question just sent me a text, so it's on my mind.

In my family, there's a phenomenon known as the 'adopted child', wherein people unrelated to us decide that they want to become part of the family. The younger of the bunch do this by coming to every outing with an overnight bag and staying for 3-4 days. The older ones, knowing how important Eid is to us, have gone as far as to buy Eid presents for the females of the family. And no matter what age, they all start calling my mother 'Mom'. For the most part, we take it in stride; we've always been a 'more the merrier' crew. And it really makes you thankful for what you have when other people are so eager to be a part of it.

Anywho, one such adopted brother, AK, asked me to help him reconnect with someone from his past, a girl I never met. I'd had a setup for him go sour before, so I was none too eager. But, AK has a special place in my heart, so I conceded. Not only did I send an email, I mentioned him in conversation. I didn't expect anything to come of it, but I figured I had to make sure I gave it a good effort.

Of course, as luck would have it, the girl in question was receptive. Who knew!?! She came out, by herself, to a party I mentioned he'd be at. Now that I think about it, the situation could have gone wrong in so many ways. But I wasn't thinking about that at the time. I was thinking about how shocked AK was to see her show up (in a speak of the devil type way) and how nervous he was when he realized he now had to walk the walk. It was great to see when two people are meant to connect, how naturally things flow.

I haven't gotten an update and I REFUSE to ask, my part is done. I did it with good intentions and Allah knows best. Now, back to my raw fooding and hopefully some sleep...