Monday, September 29, 2008

Things I'm Looking Forward To After Ramadan

We are really in the home stretch of our holiest Islamic month. And while I love Ramadan for several reasons, I'm looking forward to the end. And It's not just the presents that have my name on them (see above), but all the little things you take for granted when you're not fasting, like:

  • Tea. I used to be a huge coffee drinker, but since going raw, I've moved to tea and its become a big part of my day. I use to get me started in the morning and break up the monotony at work. And it's great for warming me up when the office chill gets to me. I'll also put my beloved miso soup here, too. It's like a savory cup of tea...
  • Running: Really I miss all working out while fasting, but running especially (and yoga second). A lot of weekends, I get up early(ish) and just have the urge to put in some miles. I make a green smoothie, get dressed, and hit the trails. During Ramadan, while I could technically go for a run, it's just not smart. The loss of all that energy could knock me off my feet for the rest of the day. Or put me in the hospital
  • Minty Fresh Breath: Yes, the pink elephant in the room of fasting. Not eating also includes mints, gum, and anything else that might refresh a stale mouth. I do brush my teeth in the morning, and sometimes use mouthwash, but it's not good to do it too often. And there's also the vanity factor. Does my breath outrank Islam in my life? Exactly, put the Tic Tacs down...

Okay, so now that I look at the list, all typed up, its not that big of a deal. Especially since I only have another two days left. Had I not gone high raw and vegan this summer, it would have definitely been longer. I guess I'll stop being a wuss now...