Sunday, April 19, 2009

Lessons From My First Bike Ride

This afternoon, I finally manned up and went on my first bike ride. I just went to my mom's house, which is about a mile away, but it was almost cathartic. For the past few weeks, I'd been kind of afraid of getting out on the road. Every time I turned around, a biker was on the news, or cornering me in the Bryn Mawr locker room, scaring me with hit-and-run tales. So, I had planned for my first few rides to be on the trail or bike path. But this great weather was too good to pass up. Since my brother had my car and I had promised to see her newly revived yard, I biked over to my mom's house. After staying for a few hours, I headed back, the weather having deteriorated amazingly fast. Each way it was 10-15 min, but it might as well have been an epic ride. Here's what I learned:

  1. Philly is one big hill. I live at the bottom of a hill, my mom lives at the top of another one. And there's just hills all around, everywhere you turn. And they hurt...
  2. Scarves are not bike friendly. No matter which way the wind is blowing, it will end up out of place. Tuck or pin well...
  3. Thankfully, you can hear most cars as they approach. And thankfully (or not so thankfully), there aren't many hybrids in the hood...
  4. All biking = at least a little funk. I didn't really sweat, but I smelled like the outside. A jacket might be a must...
  5. You will have stuff and need somewhere to put it. I had a little sling bag for just wallet/keys/cellphone, but had to leave behind my book and bike lock, which means I really couldn't go anywhere else. I'll have to get a backpack, since I don't see a messenger bag staying put.
That's what I've got so far. Feel free to leave some tips, I'm scouring the web for them. No plans for my next ride, but as the weather improves, I'm sure opportunities will present themselves...